Vitamin C, vitamin D, and omega-3 fish oil supplements put to the test to improve the core symptoms of autism spectrum disorder.
Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter at https://www.nutritionfacts.org/subscribe and get a free recipe from his new HOW NOT TO DIE COOKBOOK. (All proceeds Dr. Greger receives from his books, DVDs, and speaking directly support NutritionFacts.org).
This is the latest of an extended series on natural treatments for autism (for those who want to be treated). Please check out the others if you’re interested:
• Fever Benefits for Autism in a Food (http://bit.ly/fever-benefits-for-autism-in-a-food)
• Fighting Autism Brain Inflammation with Food (http://bit.ly/Fighting-Autism-Brain-Inflammation-with-Food)
• Best Foods for Autism (http://bit.ly/Best-Foods-for-Autism)
• Autism and Casein from Cow’s Milk (http://bit.ly/autism-and-casein-from-cows-milk)
• Does A2 Milk Carry Less Autism Risk? (http://bit.ly/Does-A2-Milk-Carry-Less-Autism-Risk)
• Gluten-Free Casein-Free Diets for Autism Put to the Test (http://bit.ly/Gluten-Free-Casein-Free-Diets-for-Autism-Put-to-the-Test)
• Are Autism Diet Benefits Just a Placebo Effect? (http://bit.ly/Are-Autism-Diet-Benefits-Just-a-Placebo-Effectt)
• Double Blind Clinical Trial of Diet for Autism (http://bit.ly/Double-Blind-Clinical-Trial-of-Diet-for-Autism)
• Pros and Cons of Gluten-Free, Casein-Free Diets for Autism (http://bit.ly/Pros-and-Cons-of-Gluten-Free-Casein-Free-Diets-for-Autism)
• Is Autism Really on the Rise? (http://bit.ly/is-autism-really-on-the-rise)
• The Role of Pesticides and Pollution in Autism (http://bit.ly/the-role-of-pesticides-and-pollution-in-autism)
• Heavy Metal Urine Testing and Chelation for Autism (http://bit.ly/Heavy-Metal-Urine-testing-and-Chelation-for-Autism)
• The Role of the Gut Microbiome in Autism (http://bit.ly/The-Role-of-the-Gut-Microbiome-in-Autism)
• Alternative Treatments for Autism (http://bit.ly/alternative-treatments-for-autism)
The disappointing results with fish oil mirror what we now know about their use for heart disease. See, for example, Is Fish Oil Just Snake Oil? (http://bit.ly/is-fish-oil-just-snake-oil) and Omega-3’s and the Eskimo Fish Tale (http://bit.ly/Omega-3s-and-the-eskimo-fish-tale).
What’s that about vitamin C and kidney stones? See Do Vitamin C Supplements Prevent Colds but Cause Kidney Stones? (http://bit.ly/do-vitamin-c-supplements-prevent-colds-but-cause-kidney-stones).
For more on what vitamin D can and can’t do, check out:
• Will You Live Longer if You Take Vitamin D Supplements? (http://bit.ly/will-you-live-longer-if-you-take-vitamin-D-supplements)
• Do Vitamin D Supplements Help with Diabetes, Weight Loss, and Blood Pressure (http://bit.ly/do-vit-d-supplements-help-diabetes-weight-loss-blood-pressure)
• How Much Vitamin D Should You Take? (http://bit.ly/how-much-vitamin-D-should-you-take)
• The Optimal Dose of Vitamin D Based on Natural Levels (http://bit.ly/the-optimal-dose-of-vitamin-D-based-on-natural-levels)
• The Best Way to Get Vitamin D: Sun, Supplements, or Salons? (http://bit.ly/the-best-way-to-get-vitamin-D-sun-supplements-or-salons)
• The Risks and Benefits of Sensible Sun Exposure (http://bit.ly/the-risks-and-benefits-of-sensible-sun-exposure)
• Should Vitamin D Supplements Be Taken to Prevent Falls in the Elderly? (http://bit.ly/should-vitamin-d-supplements-be-taken-to-prevent-falls)
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://bit.ly/dietary-supplements-for-autism and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://bit.ly/dietary-supplements-for-autism. You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgments for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM