Peppermint essential oil should be considered the first-line treatment for IBS.
Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter and get the Evidence-Based Eating Guide: A Healthy Living Resource from Dr. Greger and NutritionFacts.org. Sign up at https://www.nutritionfacts.org/healthkit.
I have some other mint videos (Enhancing Athletic Performance With Peppermint http://nutritionfacts.org/video/enhancing-athletic-performance-with-peppermint/ and
Peppermint Aromatherapy for Nausea http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Peppermint-Aromatherapy-for-Nausea) and more coming up! Lemon balm is also in the mint family (Reducing Radiation Damage With Ginger & Lemon Balm http://nutritionfacts.org/video/reducing-radiation-damage-with-ginger-and-lemon-balm/).
You can also sprinkle dried mint on various dishes. See Antioxidants in a Pinch (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/antioxidants-in-a-pinch/).
What else might work for IBS? See Kiwifruit for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/kiwifruit-for-irritable-bowel-syndrome/) and Cayenne Pepper for Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Chronic Indigestion (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/cayenne-pepper-for-irritable-bowel-syndrome-and-chronic-indigestion/).
Irritable bowel symptoms can overlap with problems with gluten. Make sure your physician rules out celiac disease:
• Is Gluten Sensitivity Real? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-gluten-sensitivity-real/)
• Gluten-Free Diets: Separating the Wheat from the Chat (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/gluten-free-diets-separating-the-wheat-from-the-chat/)
• How to Diagnose Gluten Intolerance (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-diagnose-gluten-intolerance/)
Have a question for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/peppermint-oil-for-irritable-bowel-syndrome and he’ll try to answer it!
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Podcast: http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/
• Subscribe: http://http://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate